Does your toddler play with magnet-powered toys? According to a new research study by the University of Toronto, the chances of children ingesting tiny magnets when playing with some toys are high, resulting in serious injuries that require surgery, this alarming study says. ‘With the inclusion of smaller, spherical magnets in children’s toys, we are seeing an increased number of visits to the hospital for surgeries to remove them from the gastrointestinal tract,’ said Matt Strickland, a general surgery resident at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids).
The research goes on to suggest that many children often don’t exhibit symptoms right away. Doctors may not discover the magnets until they do X-rays and damage has usually been done till then, said the study published in the Journal of Pediatrics. Today’s magnets are 20 times more powerful than older magnets with the potential to cause more damage. These high-powered ball magnets are often sold in jewellery kits or adult desk toys.